Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Asset Protection Planning
- Trusts & Estates
- Florida Bar
- New Jersey Bar
- Certified Public Accountant
- ChFC® and CLU® , The American College of Financial Services
- Juris Doctor, Seton Hall University
- Taxation, Masters, Fairleigh Dickenson University
- The Knights of Columbus
- Tau Alpha Chi
Darren J. Mills
As a licensed attorney in both Florida and New Jersey and a Certified Public Accountant, Darren is a trusted legal advisor guiding individuals and businesses in matters pertaining to trusts and estates, taxation, asset protection planning, and elder law. Darren holds designations as both ChFC® and CLU® from The American College and earned both his Law and Accounting degrees from Seton Hall University. He earned his Masters in Taxation from Fairleigh Dickinson University, and Darren developed his foundational taxation acumen while serving with industry accounting heavyweights Arthur Andersen, KPMG and Dixon Hughes Goodman.
Over his career, Darren has partnered with clients to navigate tax issues and properly plan their estates using revocable living trusts and irrevocable trusts for estate tax and asset protection planning, together with sophisticated planning techniques. He works consistently on high-net worth estates, tax and asset protection for business owners, and assists seniors with asset protection planning for long-term care.
Darren has authored numerous articles in professional journals and has taught graduate tax classes on Estate and Gift Taxation, Federal Income Taxation of Trusts & Estates, and S Corporations. Published articles include:
- Darren J Mills, Preventing Duplicated Losses: No More than One Bite at the Apple,
- TAXES – The Tax Magazine, Darren J Mills and Jamison Sites,
- Do You Know the Balance in Your OFL or ODL?, TAXES – The Tax Magazine (July 2013); Darren J Mills,
- Personal Goodwill, A Corporate Asset or No Asset at All?, TAXES – The Tax Magazine (February 2013); Darren J Mills,
- Revisiting the Finalized Uniform Stock Loss Regulations, Practical Tax Strategies (May 2012); Darren J Mills, Hum,
- The Case of Disappearing Basis?, TAXES – The Tax Magazine (November 2011); Mira Gaddy, Darren J Mills, Caren S Shein,
- To Credit or Not to Credit, tax notes, Volume 122, Number 11 (March 16, 2009); Darren J Mills & Kaitlyn M Bruno,
- FIN 48: Where are We Now and Other Issues to Consider, TAXES – The Tax Magazine (August 2007); Darren J Mills & Jason M Sorrentino,
- New Developments in Bankruptcy Tax, American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Vol. XXVI, No. 5 (June 2007); Karl E Eschelbach, Robert E Fiorentino, & Darren J Mills,
- FIN 48: Implementation Considerations and Practical Issues, New Jersey State Bar Association: Taxation Law Section Newsletter, Volume 32, Number 2 (April 2007); Darren J Mills & Mira Gaddy,
- Finally: Parity in the Resourcing of Income under Section 904!, TAXES – The Tax Magazine (Summer 2009).
Darren has two daughters, belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Tau Alpha Chi national tax honor society and is a supporter of the Alzheimer’s Association and St. Vincent DePaul’s.